Monday, August 10, 2015

DIY Alphabet Sound Tubs

Hi everyone, it’s Laura from Over the 1stGrade Rainbow.  Today I’d like to share with you some ideas with you on how to make your own alphabet sound tubs!  


When I taught kindergarten, I had the alphabet sound tubs from Lakeshore Learning provided to me by my school.  I loved using them!  They were great for small groups and phonics activities.  When I moved from that school I couldn’t take them with me.  Then I was really sad when I saw how much they would cost me to buy a set of my own.  As much as I would have loved to buy those tubs, it was a lot cheaper to go the DIY route. So I decided to make some this summer!  

Instead of using tubs, I decided to buy this Akro-Mils 10124 24 Drawer Plastic Parts Storage Hardware and Craft Cabinet.  (When I had the loose tubs, they would often get misplaced.  I also had the metal organizer for them but it took up too much space for me.)  The drawers on this cabinet are just the right size.  

I added these alphabet labels from Preschool Homeschool.  It was a small price to pay to not have to make my own, although you could always do that too!  




After I had the cabinet set up with the labels, I started filling up the drawers.  Here is a list of places where I’ve found items to fill the drawers:
1.  Target Dollar Spot – I can never go to Target without at least doing a quick sweep of this section. My favorite things to get from the dollar spot are little plastic toys or seasonal table scatter that I can use for math manipulatives.  I borrowed from these sets to add to my new ABC drawers.
2.  garage sales – Parents at garage sales practically beg me to take the small bags of their children’s knick-knack toys.  Mention you are a teacher and they may cut the price or give them to you for free!
3.  home junk drawer – We all have one right?  I know mine is FULL of small miscellaneous junk.  Lots to choose from!
4.  my daughter’s toys – I’ve borrowed several things from her play food set to use with the tubs.  I borrow it for the week and then put it back when we are done with that letter sound.  
5.  my parent’s house:  the honey hole – My parents used to own a ceramic mold business.  My mom would paint the samples for the catalogs and trade shows.  She kept a bunch of these small figurine samples for the grand-kids to play with.  When I asked her if she had anything I could use for the tubs she offered up the samples.  You never know what people have, so be sure to ask your family and friends  if they’d like to help!
6.  TOOB Animals – I have several of these sets that we’ve used for sensory bins.  They also are a great size for alphabet tubs! 
*I added magnetic alphabet letters in the tubs.  I found them in the Target dollar spot, but I have also seen them at the Dollar Tree.


If you aren't interested in buying a cabinet like I did, you could recycled plastic food containers.  Before I decided to buy the cabinet I had started saving these salsa containers from a local market.  

I hope this post helps you start your own alphabet sound tubs.  I'm always happy to answer any questions!  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment